Thursday, March 31, 2011

F is for Fart

Wiley is in Smart Start Academy preschool.  He goes two days per week.  Abby also spent three years at Smart Start, preschool through kindergarten.  Mrs. Harrison is the owner who opened it over 30 years ago.  She is the most patient, fun, motivated and amazing teacher for those little minds.  She absolutely believes that kids are little sponges and can learn anything in the early years.  In addition to teaching kids the preschool basics of numbers, letters, reading, math, etc., she teaches them manners, about caring and respect.  She is kind but strict.


Mrs. Harrison has been the topic of many of Philleo household discussion over the years.  It usually goes something like this:  "We have to get her to stop saying that before Mrs. Harrison hears it."  or "I bet Mrs. Harrison would love that."  We are constantly monitoring the kids to keep up with the Harrison standard.  I think she is what has kept our crazy family in line.

Plotting their next move.  Watch out Mrs. Harrison!

Wiley has been working on letter sounds.  Each week Smart Start introduces a new letter and they learn how to write it and how to sound it out.  Last night Wiley informed us "F is for fffart", sounding it out perfectly.  I'm pretty sure that's not the example Mrs. Harrison used.  But, to Smart Start's credit, he was right.  We're not stupid here, we just lack some class at times.

In the beginning, we were sure we had Mrs. Harrison fooled.  Just sure she thought we were the perfect family.  But it seems that with every teacher's conference, we become more aware that she isn't in the dark about us.  It seems that Abby explained to her that the pocket on the front of her t-shirt was "her Copenhagen pocket".  Nice! 


I did make one nice save on the way in the door one cold winter morning though.  As I was getting Abby out of her carseat, I noticed that she was fumbling with something in her coat pocket.  It was full of beer caps!  Over the weekend, JD taught her how to give beer cap tatoos by pressing them into her arm.  Very classy!  "Umm, I'll keep the caps, I'm not sure Mrs. Harrison likes tatoos." 

Wiley had three of his friends lined up, I'm told, teaching them to say "son-of-a-bitch".  Its a hard word so he would pronounce it and then ask them to say it back to him.  That is all JD's fault!  They both got in trouble for that one.


I would like to publicly say that I am sorry to all of the parents with children in our kid's classes. 

The good new is, despite all of our redneck parenting skills, our kids are really good kids.  Abby gets all As and Wiley is learning so much everyday at preschool.  They are polite and respectful...and a ton of fun!

1 comment:

  1. I so enjoyed your post! I can see my little angels doing the same! Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in this!

    ReplyDelete