Wednesday, March 23, 2011

All-Girl Adventure

This statue sits just outside the indoor arena.
This past weekend Abby and I went on an all-girl adventure.  I participated in a Sandy Collier clinic at Wagonhound Land & Livestock.  While there, we both decided that if for some reason our house was swept up in a tornado, brush fire or flood, we could probably settle on living at Wagonhound...at least until our new house was built.

Attention to every detail, even the mailboxes.
So while I was busy riding in the clinic, Abby had time to take some great shots of the ranch.  These are all her photos.

Their red angus herd.
We stayed in a bunkhouse that was more like a home.  We shared it with other clinic participants but had our own room.  We cooked our meals in the mess hall.

Clinic participants.
I've been to a handful of clinics in the past and I'm always happy to come away learning just one or two things each time.  If you can improve just one or two skills, then the clinic was a success, I think.  I was able to improve my spins and stops and also learned that I need to remain seated while pursuing my cow down the fence.  I guess the horse racer/barrel racer in me had never considered this before and no one has ever told me to sit down.  It took her a couple of reinforcing, "What are you doing? SIT DOWN!" yells for me to catch on.  Sandy is a tough cookie and I couldn't have enjoyed her more.  She is the first woman clinician I have ever been to.  I was excited to have someone shoot it to me straight.  The men clinicians sometimes seem to pat you on the head and tell you everything looks great.  If it looked great, I wouldn't be here!

Lou & I working in the round pen.
Now that we're home, Abby and I can begin working on a plan for how we can just blend in at the Wagonhound.  It's huge, I'm sure they wouldn't even notice a couple of extras and their horses.  We could help out, it must take an army to keep that place in shape anyway.  I bet Abby could live in that cute, little mailbox and I think I'll just pitch a tent in that indoor arena.

Lou & I circling a cow.






No comments:

Post a Comment